Bumble Bee's Craft Den

I enjoy crafting and like to try my hand at different things. If there is anything that you see on here that you would like made, please feel free to contact me bumblebeescraftden@gmail.com or by going to my page on Facebook www.facebook.com/bumblebeescraftden. You can post on the wall or send me a message there. I appreciate any comments that people leave so please feel free to comment!!!

Monday 2 June 2014

Shabby Ornate Frame Revamp!

Hello!

I am still painting everything in sight!!  This ornate frame in Poundland caught my eye - it is plastic and very lightweight and they had them in white and black in 3 different sizes.  I wondered if I could paint it and jazz it up as I am not keen on black and white colour schemes!  Here is the frame before I started.  I forgot to photograph it so have found a pic on the web of the frame - I will try and take a pic instore this week!



I bought the same size as the one above and for £1 they are ok but very light and flimsy!

Anyway, first of all I painted it a few times in a cream colour.  The paint went on but I needed 2 coats as the surface was shiny.  I then decided to put a vintage shade of green on top, this went on better and I was able to hold the frame up to the light to see any spots I had missed (the lightweight plastic was good for this!).  I gave it a couple of coats and then once dry I rubbed a little Briwax into it to keep the paint in place.  It rubbed the colour back in some places but this was ok as it gave a shabby, vintage look to it and also brought the cream paint through as well.  I then used some greeny gold Treasure Wax on the raised decorative parts and then some gold Treasure Wax on top of that.  This gave it an nice, aged look.  I am really pleased with the result and I don't think you would believe it was only a cheap £1 frame if you saw it!!

Now the only thing I would say is that the stand on the back is not fixed on very well and fell off!  I could not get it to go back on so decided to paint the inside of it black and make a framed blackboard instead!

Here is the finished result!




Hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you have managed to do with a £1 frame. Looks much more expensive now. Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda - the Treasure waxes really were the finishing touch I think!!

      Delete

Found this post interesting??? I'd love to read your comments!!!